Monday, November 29, 2010

Starting Off...


 So... I've really been encouraged over this Thanksgiving break to begin a blog... and maybe one day, it'll behoove my efforts toward a successful career... and I love to write to everyone, so here goes. To start off, perhaps a reasoning behind my infatuation with the written word— this was for a scholarship back in the fall of '09 (it was mostly on poetry):


I have been somewhat of a lifelong writer. Oh yes, there have been times where I have had to put my pen or my laptop down and do the things that most people call real work, such as learning how to report what someone else said by way of research paper, or waiting tables, or even dealing with the tender hearts and minds of my friends. But perhaps one of my favorite things to do is to "people watch", and to muse upon the emotions on their faces, and try to feel what they are dealing with in the multi-faceted jewel called life. I write as I think, and they are suddenly a beloved character in the storybook of my life, a piece to the puzzle of who I am.

I cannot allow this writing to be submitted without mentioning the person who taught me to love poetry: Jason Ruiz. He was my Advanced English 9 teacher years ago, and has remained my friend throughout high school. He began "The Poet's Society", a club based off the movie, "The Dead Poet's Society".  This club was dedicated to students who wished to publish their work as teenagers, just to give them a starting point. I have to admit that this past year, we never submitted anything, but in years previous we held workshops and "fish bowled" each other's work. This is why I love poetry: It can say so much in a few, artistically placed phrases. One can entrust their feelings, their very heart, onto paper in poetry. And I have fallen in love with the danger of letting oneself go, of letting others see one's heart splayed onto a page for all to see... It is a way of bleeding black, onto a crisp sheet of white, and causing a movement in the hearts of all who decipher the splotches. 

So yeah... I hope that if you follow my blog... it's worth it to ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment